eConsultant

eConsultant - Sanjeev Narang - writes notes on technology, personal growth, personal MBA, productivity and time management.

A day in the life of a mac genius


What happens when a company has crazy policies and one of their insider starts blogging ....

Genius-like

"Genius-like"
Recently, Apple had a feature called "A day in the life of a mac genius" in their holiday newsletter. I thought I might begin this blog by detailing a day in the life of a *real* mac genius. Not some happy-sugar-coated-conveniently-located-near-Apple-HQ mac genius.
The day begins with the "daily download," where everyone on staff that morning gets to listen to our manager talk about all sorts of financial drivel while trying not to fall asleep. The day progresses with a constant flow of customers into the genius bar. Some people just need their iPod reset, some have more detailed technical questions, and some are 300 pound women with two-inch-long hair growing from their second chin. While many are grateful of the free tech support, others are put off by the often several hour long wait times, informing the whole store of their displeasure with various four letter words. Meanwhile, I'm trudging through replacing an iPod - a process which takes one minute to find out that it needs to be replaced, and eight to twelve minutes to navigate through our cumbersome reporting system. I'm often greeted with messages telling me that I need to click the "get quote" button before I can click the "get quote" button.
Later in the day I'm able to retreat into the "Applecare room," where repair work is done. Here, instead of being overwhelmed by angry customers, I have the privilege of being overwhelmed by repairs, and the multitude of "must be done now" tasks which can only be performed by a mac genius. After spending the rest of the day removing coins from CD drives, cleaning various fluids (and select solids) from the insides of computers, and coming up with creative ways to tell customers "you're stupid," my day comes to an end. Unlike the aforementioned "sugar coated" mac genius, I don't leave my keys behind at work.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment