eConsultant

eConsultant - Sanjeev Narang - writes notes on technology, personal growth, personal MBA, productivity and time management.

The New York Times > Business > Your Money > Techno Files: To-Do List: Shop, Pay Bills, Organize Brain

Mind Mapping has been popularized by Tony Buzan who is the memory/mind-mapping/leonardo guru ... glad more people are getting the idea.


The New York Times > Business > Your Money > Techno Files: To-Do List: Shop, Pay Bills, Organize Brain: "To-Do List: Shop, Pay Bills, Organize Brain
By JAMES FALLOWS

RUSH LIMBAUGH used to joke that he did his radio show 'with half my brain tied behind my back - just to make it fair.' As best I can figure out, only half of my brain has ever worked at all. That would be the brain's left side - the home of logic, lists and linear thought. What I know about right-brain functions, from intuition to graphic creativity, I know mainly from hearing them described, like the highlands of Mongolia.

I don't view this as a plus - 20 years ago, it led me to the fateful error of ignoring the 'cute' Macintosh and sticking with the more 'efficient' DOS-based PC - so I look for ways to expand my horizons. Every few months, I make another try at a visually mesmerizing program called Personal Brain ($79.95 from TheBrain.com), which displays facts, ideas and research elements floating in a mock 3-D space, with lines indicating the connections among them. Also, I keep trying Grokker 2 ($49 from Groxis.com), which organizes Web searches into visually intuitive groups. For instance, the subjects most related are bunched together, as at the center of a dartboard. More distant concepts are out near the rim. To some people they are indispensable, but for everyday use they are too right-brainy for me.

Happily, I have found two programs that hold promise for bridging the brain gap. They are MindManager ($229 for the basic X5 version from Mindjet.com) and an add-on called ResultsManager ($145 for the basic version from Gyronix.com)."
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment